HOM:

Giving you something to read on the toilet since 2009.

"The mistake lies in seeing debate and discussion as secondary to the recovery of meaning. Rather, we should see them as primary: art and literature do not exist to be understood or appreciated, but to be discussed and argued over, to function as a focus for social dialogue. The discourse of literary or art criticism is not to recover meaning, but to create and contest it. Our primal scene should not be the solitary figure in the dark of the cinema but the group of friends arguing afterwards in the pub."
-Don Fowler (1996) "Even Better Than The Real Thing"

Monday, February 20, 2012

The Oscars - In Your Words

The Oscars are this weekend. There is more than one way to think about, watch or react to the production. Here are some thoughts that HOM solicited from some individuals worth hearing from.

Best awards show of them all.  Best red carpet, best hosts and comedy.  Best category in the show?  Best supporting!  It's always the one that's right on and usually involves no favoritism.  Comedies should get more love. – Joey Proffitt

The thing that always interests me the most about the Oscars are my personal reactions to them.  I always root for movies that I enjoyed or affected me personally.  When those win I enjoy the validation that comes.  When something else wins, I always wonder what I've missed or wasn't told.  Why do I do that?  I mean, a not tight movie is still not tight even if a bunch of other not tight people think it's tight.  And, you guys, Moneyball was not that tight. – Jacob Simmons

The Oscars, in my opinion, should acknowledge and distinguish extraordinary achievements in the film industry. Whenever I think about them I immediately seem to consider them a stamp of high quality in acting or film-making. But then I am always dissapointed by them being too main-stream or at least overlooking one great film or great actor every year. They seldom mean enough for me to watch the entire show, although I always read the lists of nominations and winners. Part of their attraction is of course to opinionate on the dress and appearance of celebrities. – Tine

It's the most overdone and disgusting night of the year. Hollywood patting itself on the back for doing what? making a bunch of commercial shit that could be good but had to be dumbed down for a perceived dumb market. We would be smarter for not watching. I can't take my eyes off the television screen for the entire 7 hours of coverage. - Anonymous

I grew up watching the Oscars, so the Oscars conjure memories of watching them as a kid.  It's not unlike how every Cowboys game feels like I'm watching it on my grandfather's knee in the Fairlie farm house.  Anyway, here are some of the thoughts that pop to mind when I think Oscars:  beach sand, Saving Private Ryan, Billy Crystal, David Letterman running from English Patient plane, blankets quilted by Ms. Freddie, oscar parties with Weaver, and on and on and on. – James King

I think oscars are needed bcz they keep people interested in commercial cinema. Without them everyone would get bored with this stuff.
:-) – Ewa

I personally enjoy the Oscars. I know it's a pointless event in the grand scheme of things but it's fun to see all of the pomp. I also think it pushes filmmaking forward; without the possibility of winning awards many of these movies would never get made. – Tyler Atkinson

Once or twice I may have daydreamed about walking the red carpet at the Oscars with a very beautiful and famous movie star. The only attention I would get as the nobody on this starlet's arm would be for being the nobody on this starlet's arm. And that would be quite exciting for me, and my family and friends, who would be watching the Oscars not only to see who won Best this or that, but also to catch a glimpse of someone they actually know, and not just think they know from the magazines at the checkout counter, on the red carpet. I would wear an expensive suit from a famous designer that she purchased for me (I am her guest, after all, and anyway she makes more money than me because she is a movie star), and we would look great together. We would have a ball and maybe she would win Best Supporting, or something like that. Later, maybe a week or two, after our picture had appeared some in one of those glossies, we would make the headline: "Beautiful and Famous Actress Breaks Up With Unknown Date from the Oscars," and the inside would detail the affair. One would hope to save some face and not come off as an a-hole, but you can never tell with the tabloids. Then I would return to normal, daily life. But I would definitely put one of those magazines in a drawer with other keepsakes, or maybe frame it and put it on the wall next to my television. – Rob Culpepper

I love the Oscars…I think they are great way to learn about movies that were't as publicized as some of the main stream movies the came out during the year. I wish they would go back to only 5 best picture nominees. I feel like that has kind of watered down that category, but overall I always enjoy watching the Oscars so that I can learn about movies I may have missed out on. – John Gesenhues



No comments:

Post a Comment