HOM:

Giving you something to read on the toilet since 2009.

"The mistake lies in seeing debate and discussion as secondary to the recovery of meaning. Rather, we should see them as primary: art and literature do not exist to be understood or appreciated, but to be discussed and argued over, to function as a focus for social dialogue. The discourse of literary or art criticism is not to recover meaning, but to create and contest it. Our primal scene should not be the solitary figure in the dark of the cinema but the group of friends arguing afterwards in the pub."
-Don Fowler (1996) "Even Better Than The Real Thing"

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - Joey Proffitt


Directed by Tomas Alfredson (Swede)

I want you to go see Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.  And I don't want to tell you anything about it, except to be prepared for a slow, realistic, and challenging movie experience.  

Excellently written - I know that it cannot hold all the details, intricacies, and character and story nuances.  But it succeeded in giving us just enough to hold on to us and ultimately fulfill us even though we know it can't measure up to the book.  Makes you want to read the book which i'm sure is a complement rarely given.

Directed to be equally character and story driven with excellent storytelling devices - Whenever a important secret is revealed, it immediately flashes to the scene where the act happened so we can see it naturally play out.  It not only completely confirms the secret revealed, but also leaves the dialogue natural and important.  In a film that has you gripping for whatever pieces of evidence you can get, it's nice to get confirmation on what evidence is important.

An Authentic Hashing Out Moment
I had an incredible movie experience with TTSS.  My wife was having a tech/computer emergency at a women's event she was running and I had to take her call DURING THE MOST IMPORTANT SCENE IN THE MOVIE!  I'm pretty proud of myself for putting wife over movie enjoyment and walking out for a few minutes.

So as soon as the movie ended I was looking for 1 of the 8 people, who were watching a relatively unknown spy thriller at 4:25 on the Thursday, to ask what happened.  While waiting in the hall one of the men actually approaches me first and before I could ask him says, "Can I ask you a question?  What did you think of the movie?"  Upon hearing his question, two other people stopped to hear my reply.  I had to start with, "Before I answer that, can I ask you what happened in that [...one scene]"

I ended up spending the 10-15 minutes explaining what I thought had just happened in the movie and trying to help fill in the gaps.  Mostly because I was prepared to see it.

I Went in Prepared
Go see this movie!  But also be ready for what you are getting in to.  TTSS is Thick! But in a great way.  It's kind of slow and there are a million names and places and relationships.  But to really enjoy what's going on you have to catch most of it.  It's a challenge but totally worth it.  Go in knowing that and you'll be alright.  Enjoy the confusion, you will get closure.

No Bournes or Bonds
This movie is what being a spy is prolly really like.  None of these spies are butt kickers or sharp shooters.  They're nerds, they watch endless amounts of film, crack codes, profile people, get information on them and use it against them.  And mostly live in a constant state of paranoia and loneliness.

What a Cast
Mark Strong (Sherlock Holmes, Body of Lies), John Hurt (Harry Potter, V for Vendetta), Gary Oldman (Dark Knight, Harry Potter), Colin Firth (King's Speech, Pride and Prejudice), and watch out for this guy on the rise, Benedict Cumberbatch (BBC's Sherlock, which you must check out on Netflix, MUST)

Great Story supported by Greater Cast.  If you're in for a challenge and a lot to discuss. See it.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome, Joey! I loved this movie, too. And adding on-site interviews to HOM?! Wooo.

    ReplyDelete