HOM:

Giving you something to read on the toilet since 2009.

"The mistake lies in seeing debate and discussion as secondary to the recovery of meaning. Rather, we should see them as primary: art and literature do not exist to be understood or appreciated, but to be discussed and argued over, to function as a focus for social dialogue. The discourse of literary or art criticism is not to recover meaning, but to create and contest it. Our primal scene should not be the solitary figure in the dark of the cinema but the group of friends arguing afterwards in the pub."
-Don Fowler (1996) "Even Better Than The Real Thing"

Thursday, December 16, 2010

The Fighter - KDJ

Wahlberg, in the role he was made for, and Bale, with the performance of the year, and an appropriately trashy-pudgy, Amy Adams, complete a 'made for the movies' story and deliver on Wahlberg's promise - 'It's the best movie of the year'.

Four years ago I heard that Wahlberg began training for this movie. I checked up on it probably bi-weekly for two years. Last year, Aronofsky was in, then out, then in again, and finally this year, out again. I was pretty devastated. I can't say I was jacked when David O. Russel signed on. Kind of how I'm not jacked about Sam Mendes doing the next Bond. At any rate, I love Three Kings. I really like Flirting with Disaster (check out the cast on that movie) and still enjoy watching Huckabees. Nonetheless, I was really unsure about him taking the reigns on a movie that I had already invested so much time in.

I was wrong to question. I was resolutely put-in-my-place towards the end of the movie. It happened when Bale, in some of the most convincing acting I have seen since Cassel in Mesrine, walked onto Amy Adam's porch and pleads for understanding, not forgiveness. The moments on the porch were almost like stop-motion; each movement and line seemed crafted and deliberate yet remindful of moments in our own lives where we know how it feels to be in their place. In other words, it was worked over, but just natural, and therefore powerful. The scene was crafted with enough nonchalance to balance the sheer discomfort Bale exerted. And just when it seemed that David Russel was getting ready to fall back on his, mostly unneeded go-to, comedic relief, Bale saves the day - "It's icing from the cake" - just as the scene was the icing on the cake, for me at least.

The Fighter is a full on movie-going experience. As my good genius friend Morris once said, in all his lighthearted and genuine humility, "Give me a good come from behind story, some movie-going friends, and a movie theater, and I'm cool." I agree, Morris. I'm cool with this movie. I'm cool enough with it to give it my nod as the movie of the year (with Bale earning performance of the year).




3 comments:

  1. Damn, you beat me to it. Jacob and I just watched The Fighter tonight and I am at a loss of what to say, except that it was phenomenal. I'm inspired and exhausted at the same time. Can't wait to hear what you thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looking forward to these. rob, he hasnt really beat you to it, since theres no review yet. so hurry up. i saw black swan last night. holy shit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How haven't I seen this yet? And not excited about Mendes doing Bond? And Morris's quotation being the badassest of all quotations?

    ReplyDelete