HOM:

Giving you something to read on the toilet since 2009.

"The mistake lies in seeing debate and discussion as secondary to the recovery of meaning. Rather, we should see them as primary: art and literature do not exist to be understood or appreciated, but to be discussed and argued over, to function as a focus for social dialogue. The discourse of literary or art criticism is not to recover meaning, but to create and contest it. Our primal scene should not be the solitary figure in the dark of the cinema but the group of friends arguing afterwards in the pub."
-Don Fowler (1996) "Even Better Than The Real Thing"

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Fast Five - Kyle


There are a few movie franchises that have delivered, repeatedly. Star Wars, LOTR, Harry Potter, some of the Batman stuff, (new) Bond (though still nervous about this whole Sam Mendes thing), and a few others. I can unashamedly say that no franchise has made me more happy than The Fast and the Furious.

There is an emotion that is evoked in music, film and whatever else wherein the viewer/listener is carried along by an interplay of crescendo and decrescendo. Sigur Ros fires you up, brings you back down, then hits you with the mother load. There comes a point though, when some movies and some other forms of entertainment just hit you with too many high points. It is like, how many times can Predator and Alien top themselves? How many times can Jack Bauer save the world? How many times can Bruce Willis look awesome? Often times, the greats, like Motzart and Sylvester Stallone, know exactly how many times the topped can be topped. This is what makes them great.

So, when I first heard rumblings about Fast Five, I was immediately like, 'OK, how many times can you top the top?' After all, Jack Sparrow is all but ruined at this point. But then... I saw Fast Five. I only needed about 4 minutes of DPL action to know that the top has been topped and immediately started to worry about the making of Super-Fast Six. They topped the topped and I loved every minute of it. I'm nervous about Vin driving cars that fly but I think I am ready for it.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't seen a single one of these but you just convinced me to marathon the first four and close it out with a trip to the theater. THX.

    ReplyDelete