HOM:

Giving you something to read on the toilet since 2009.

"The mistake lies in seeing debate and discussion as secondary to the recovery of meaning. Rather, we should see them as primary: art and literature do not exist to be understood or appreciated, but to be discussed and argued over, to function as a focus for social dialogue. The discourse of literary or art criticism is not to recover meaning, but to create and contest it. Our primal scene should not be the solitary figure in the dark of the cinema but the group of friends arguing afterwards in the pub."
-Don Fowler (1996) "Even Better Than The Real Thing"

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Up in the Air


So tons of jokers are claiming this is going to wipe up some golden globes and academy awards. I think it will. At some point, however, I need to spend some time researching who the academy really is (I do know that Tom Sherak is the current president. He decided which movies FOX would produce for like 40 years or something crazy. Tom Hanks is president elect, I think) because I often kind of agree with them but most of the time do not. And what is lame, is that I will netflix academy award winning movies like it's my job. Recently, while watching some Justin.tv streams, I found a stream that only plays imdb + 7.6. This was revolutionary for me. I mean I always check the ratings movies have on imdb and rottentomatoes. I most often agree with the ratings although sometimes I'll use the ratings just to know what kind of movie I am about to see. It's like going to an indie theater as opposed to an AMC. What is more, whenever I am judging how the public is judging something, I have to take into account that the public is the reason every movie has a love story. Would I be able to find good movies without golden globes, academy awards, Roger Ebert, rottentomatoes and imdb? I think maybe for a few years I could as most theaters already have a 'type'. But maybe if we did away with all the judging we would lose our criteria for a good movie and people would start to make movies on a whole other level. At any rate, I would not give Up in the Air any awards, other than an award titled, "you did a really good job of making a movie that is going to win golden globes and academy awards." With all this crap said, I hope this blog is good for a community of people to get some ideas on how friends and foes are judging and thinking about some movies. I would like to congratulate all of us for being awesome in this way. With all that said, I love oscar parties and I'm all for recognizing artists for making awesome stuff.

1 comment:

  1. Great suggestion Kyle. I think this blog can indeed be seen as an alternative the big name, sponsored media - it is for me at least!

    ReplyDelete